Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default Jun 25, 2019 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannahsays View Post
No. I would be disturbed if I felt like depriving myself of something I would otherwise participate in based off of something like somebody going on vacation. That is not a criticism of the impulse. I just mean that I wouldn't like it if somebody going on vacation indirectly led to me unnecessarily depriving myself. If I actually acted on the impulse, it would probably confirm my suspicion that I am impotent, rather than make me feel empowered. In this sort of situation, I tend to disregard any emotional turmoil I feel and carry on as normal. I guess that makes me feel more in control than if I allowed emotions that I don't like to have a say in my actions. I don't know if that's the "right" thing to do, or if there is a "right" thing to do. But that's what I do.

On a somewhat related note (maybe?), sometimes I think I want to act out to show the therapist she can't control me. When I act out, it is not of the cancelling or no-showing type (but it is definitely acting out, 95% of the time). Sometimes, it is very difficult to resist the temptation. Sometimes I give in. Sometimes I don't even try to resist and gleefully do whatever it is I am going to do. The balance of power is restored, although it comes at a cost. I guess the question that matters here is whether the cost (missing a session) is worth what you gain (feeling more in control, maybe showing something to the therapist - unclear on that).
Yeah, I probably won’t cancel, but the urge is strong. I feel this way not infrequently, but can usually make myself go, and am usually even glad I did. The struggle between wanting to go and not go is really tiring. This time it’s clearly prompted by his vacation.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SalingerEsme