View Single Post
Ladylullaby

Member Since Nov 2007
Attention Jun 26, 2019 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
Ok, found the right link so you can click on it as it represents a lot of time and research done by an individual who has since passed yet his work remains and has proven to be extremely helpful.

While reading this information you will come across this statement:

The information goes on to explain further why an assumption is made unfairly and instead the person's true challenge is more a sign of struggling with complex ptsd instead.

There are different therapy's offered that have proven helpful, one of those therapies is DBT, and another is CBT and a newer one that has proven to reduce the symptoms from "unprocessed traumas" is called Accelerated Resoulution Therapy. If you have a diagnoses of ptsd, then I strongly recommend seeing a therapist that specializes in "trauma therapy" otherwise you may end up misdiagnosed and not finding therapy all that helpful.

For myself, I am now seeing a "trauma therapist" and he has tried using different therapies and has found the Accelerated Resolution Therapy to work the best with his PTSD patients. I have not been in this therapy all that long, however, what I have noticed about it is how much my body itself has been weighed down by the traumas I have experienced in my own life.

It sounds to me from what you have shared is that you drag your body out of bed, lug through the day of work, come home exhausted and can't wait until you can finally climb back into bed. When I finally did an ART session I felt exhausted and actually wanted to sleep most of the next day. After the session I had literally felt like I had been relieved of a heavy suit I had not even realized I had been wearing. Truth is, without realizing it I had grown used to living with how the trauma affected me physically where my muscles were constantly pumped up with "cortizol" because PTSD is an anxiety disorder and the individual who is suffering with it is much more sensitive and is often stuck in a "hyper vigilant" state of mind, as though they have their foot out ready to run and escape, yet their body is experiencing that as well which makes it harder to function and handle things in a more normal relaxed state.

What you are describing as uncontrollable mood swings is coming from how the trauma or traumas affected your emotional mind and often this is due to one's inablity to process their own emotional challenges that present from experiencing a trauma or traumas. Most of the time a trauma leaves a person with feeling "powerless" and the person simply had "no control" when something happened that caused that person to suffer and feel so powerless.

The reason why this particular link is helpful is because it covers how a person can at some point experience a very toxic presence that bullies them, constantly tries to control them, and they find themselves "trapped" and having to constantly work around this "toxic" controlling presence. It is especially difficult for a child in that children simply do not have the life experience to understand how to handle a toxic presence and often have to figure out how to work around that kind of presence which may very well be a parent that has problems and is to controlling and unbalanced and incapable of allowing that child the freedom to develop their OWN identity. Instead, often that child faces constant criticisms and experiences what is now called "childhood emotional neglect".

It's important to pay attention to the symptoms of ptsd because one of the symptoms that tends to be consistent is "shame and self blaming" which is why when it comes to abuse or trauma one of the constant messages presented is "it's not your fault".

At this point you are just beginning to learn about what ptsd is and how it affects you in ways you may not realize. What you have said "it's just a stupid childhood trauma" means you are not really aware of how that trauma really did affect you, and there most likely is a lot more involved than you actually realize. You are clearly struggling so it's time to finally figure out why and it will require patience on your part with this learning and finally looking to identify what's behind your challenge and to finally HEAL and manage these challenges that continually affect you.

Thank you for that Open Eyes. I want to keep my eyes shut! I am having a very difficult time dealing with the trauma. I looked into DBT at the request of my therapist. As it turns out it isn't covered under my insurance. I go to therapy twice a week. I have been going for over a year now. I still cant verbally speak about the abuse, I have to write it down. She reads my letters and responds accordingly. I have even started to read them to her if it isn't of a sexual nature. I am too embarrassed. Yes you would be correct, shame and self blaming are an innate thing for me after having spent all these years not addressing the trauma. I am 52. I think its too late. I actually find comfort in it. I know it sounds wrong, but its been this way for a long long time. I will never have a partner and I don't care. So what does it matter? I have a dog. I play my piano and I do what I have to do to wake up another day. But don't think for 1 minute I look forward to that morning where I don't wake up. I do.
As far as self blaming? I resent that term! My therapist constantly tells me, "it is NOT your fault". It may not be my fault but it sure feels like it. DYFS didn't do anything to my uncle. They didn't even tell my aunt because they were afraid she would have a heart attack. Can you imagine my emotions? My father yelled at me because my uncle let him use his garage to fix his boat, Once again I imagine how I felt at that very moment. Rage!!!!!!!!! But little did my father know that my uncle used that garage for touching me in ways I don't care to mention! Dear old Dad doesn't have a warm spot in my heart. My Mother died along time ago and she wasn't a good Mother either. Yes I did suffer from neglect from her, that's probably why she's dead! she was an awful Mother, I don't even know why I am here truth be told. I don't think I have the strength to see this through. I just don't think I can do it. I will keep going to therapy. I don't know if its enough.
Ladylullaby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Leannebug, Open Eyes, unaluna