Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 26, 2019 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
Thanks for this explanation. I haven’t done IFS (my T is psychodynamic) but I find this interesting. I guess if you look at it this way, the child almost always seems to make it to our session, but it’s a huge struggle and it’s quite painful and I never really know if she’ll make it. It feels easier to deal with when I think of it in parts like that - like I can be a little more understanding if I think of it as a child. I sort of wish my T explained it that way. I wonder when this struggle will go away. It’s been going on for almost 2 years and it’s so disruptive. I just want to look forward to going to my session without all the extra drama.
Maybe you could bring up this issue with him again and mention the insights that Amyjay offered. Based on what you have shared about him, it sounds like he would be interested in this take on the issue, since it is one that seems to resound with you. Psychodynamic theory doesn't have parts in the same way as IFS - it doesn't structure things in the same way - but it does recognize competing desires and motivations. The inner conflicts that arise from those are kind of what psychodynamic theory is all about (at least, that's my impression).