View Single Post
Blueberrybook
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
78 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 26, 2019 at 02:49 PM

I'm on Seroquel, and every year now, my cholesterol is creeping up. The pdoc and PCP both seem to think the likely culprit is Seroquel. I don't eat a perfect diet, but I don't eat a horrible one either, and after my ulcer adventure greasy fried foods are off my list unless I want to suffer in the bathroom later. I exercise regularly and have pretty much my entire adult life, and still my bad cholesterol keeps going up, as does total cholesterol, this year both just high enough out of range to be flagged. I do have quite high levels of good cholesterol, and so far, my triglycerides are OK, but this is starting a trend I don't like to see since heart disease does run in my family, and my grandfather who had a major heart attack wasn't overweight ever in his life. In addition, my fasting glucose levels are starting to be near the flag zone for high. It is highly likely Seroquel is also causing me non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Just a host of issues.

Is there any option, or am I stuck with Seroquel or meds in a similar category, likely to do the same thing? Can your cholesterol be lowered without medication? Are the options other than Seroquel even worse for cholesterol and blood glucose? In addition, I am mostly am always mixed, and that makes it trickier with some of the bipolar meds, I've heard. I don't see my pdoc until July 10, 11 something like that, but I definitely want to bring it up to him, and I had my PCP's PA fax those labs to my psych clinic, so he will have them at my visit (signed medical releases for both those doctors on each end).

I will also be seeing my PCP later in July, around mid-month and wonder if there is anything I should ask about the cholesterol/high fasting glucose/NAFLD?

Seroquel, Cymbalta, , propanolol, buspirone, Trazodone, gabapentin, omeperazole

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
Blueberrybook is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote