Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2014
375 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 27, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Well I have mentioned before our mentalhealth care workers are humans. They deserve the same rights and freedoms we have. Would you feel it right if your employer and/or clients expected you to not take a holiday or personal time? I am pretty sure you'd be irate.

But I do understand the anxiety of not being able to see them. A professional therapist would recognise this and make arrangements for such while they were away.

By the way, I would personally never make contact with my own therapist or psychiatrist while they are away. They deserve to be free from work responsibilities while on their personal time. Again, wouldn't you expect this? So, if it were me I'd do everything I could to respect this. Afterall, there are supports out there if I am having a difficult week or two - other therapists in the office (many will provide their clients an on call temporary therapist while away), a crisis line, and even your personal family physician. Ultimately there is the hospital. However, I am pretty sure that one can manage being apart from their therapist for a week or two. If the situation is bad enough that they can't then the option of the family doctor or hospital is likely the most realistic thing to do.

What would you not appreciate if your roles were reversed? What would you tell a friend in the same situation to do.

In the meantime, I hope that you can get through the holiday without any events. Great luck and perhaps you can make the most of your own time away
I agree about the Ts needing vacation and to get away. I also agree they should be on vacation, howver, it can be very difficult. The few times that T took a vacation she always wanted me to email her to check in especially when we were in the middle of some deeply emotional work. I always told her I wanted her to enjoy er vacation and not worry about me. She told me it was her vacation and she got to decide if she wanted patient contact or not. If she offered / asked me to email her it was vecause she was making that choice.

We agreed I would email her and that she would email me back when she had time in between whatever she had going with family.

nottrustin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, susannahsays