Elio

Member Since Sep 2006
8,779 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 27, 2019 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrad123 View Post
I tried talking about parts today with respect to my therapy ambivalence and my therapist was receptive, but not very helpful in explaining things or elaborating on things I said. I think the folks on PC explain it much better. Now I’m left sort of wishing I had slept in instead of going to my early morning therapy session. Blah.
I'm sorry to hear it wasn't helpful. Do you think it was because of talking about in terms of parts or because of what was being said (the content)?

I have to say that for a while we did a lot more parts talk and work. Then I went through a period where I felt like my T didn't like/believe in the parts or didn't appreciate being forced to deal with them. Now there's a bit more parts talk. I'm still not back to fully believing that they are welcome, or something is holding me back on fully believing. My T has said they are welcomed, that all of me is welcomed, and short of her being proactive in reaching out to a specific part; I don't know what more she could do to make all the parts feel like they are welcomed. She's hesitant to do anything of the sort because it would make it be about her and because she doesn't want to appear to be taking sides between the parts. (paraphrasing things she's actually said) Also, that wouldn't be the way she practices therapy. Everything is almost always me initiated.

I also struggle with the difference between welcomed and wanted. I mostly feel like she's saying sure they can be there, because that's her job to accept them as being me; but it would be easier if I'd just stop being so.... [fill in the blank there]. And that she's just waiting for this part of my therapy to be over with and wondering when she can get down to the serious business of therapy by moving onto the real things (whatever that means).

Yeah, I recognize that this isn't about her at all. It's a sticking point between me and me.

Sorry for the tangent.
Elio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote