Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 27, 2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
Well I hear you on this. It is sort of related to a thread I just started on horrible thoughts. I share your concern about driving. Only, it just isn't my own driving I am concerned about but it is that of others.

I am told I am a very good driver. While in the military I took a number of courses like defensive driving, safe backing, winter and bad weather driving, and so on. Years later I had a commercial driver's license. But STILL everytime I put my keys in the ignition I worry I might do something wrong.

*****I however have come up with a way to get around this.... I pretend I am taking a driver's exam and road test each time I get behind the wheel. While some might think, 'whoa! wouldn't this cause more anxiety?' I actually find it rather soothing as I think out ever move beforehand. It really does help.

There is one situation though that is still a trigger for me when I drive and that is when my boyfriend is a passenger. He conducts road tests (big rigs) and training for a living. He has never criticised my driving though. Still, I get really anxious with my stomach in knots. As a result I tend to suggest he do the driving

I suggest if you feel up to it maybe trying this pretend-you-are-on-a-road-test approach as I really do find it helpful. I pretend I am talking to the tester about my intentions and what I will do before I conduct them. This also helps me not get so irritated by other drivers as it is only my own driving I am concerned about.

I am currently driving in a city that is new to me and so don't quite know my way around. This has been cause for anxiety too but I map my routes out before hand. Not just the street names, but the major sights to look for.

Great luck. You've got this. Here's a pat on the back.
I freak out over the weirdest things when driving. We are going to Canada tomorrow (no biggie, we go back and forth often) but I am freaking out that I am going to get lost. It’s not even a big city. Still. My husband is worse than me, that’s why I am driving. Then I don’t drive on bridges and I am freaking out that for whatever reason tunnel will be closed and we will be forced to drive on the bridge. Ugh embarrassing.
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
DazedandConfused254, MickeyCheeky