View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Confused Jul 02, 2019 at 03:15 PM

Yes I think I can relate to this. (I can't say if unintentional childhood neglect can exist as a concept.) My parents are now long-since dead & my childhood was many decades ago. But I've often thought I probably, for the most part, had good parents. And if they had had a "normal" child, I think things would might have gone well.

Unfortunately what my parents got was a depressed, anxious, fear-ridden, gender dysphoric kid. And it was at a time, & in a place, where mental illness was something to be feared, embarrassed about, & swept under the rug; & where mental health services were non-existent. I think they probably did the best they could under the circumstances. But it all just turned out wrong.

I could go on. But I'll spare you the details. I do think though that the various types of neglect I experienced were unintentional. I think they really believed they did the best they could for me. And I'm quite certain they died thinking I was the most ungrateful little twerp any parent had ever had the misfortune to produce. Sometimes I think they may have been right.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Calypso2632, Open Eyes, TerryL, winter4me

Thanks for this!
cureav, winter4me