View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Jul 09, 2019 at 05:46 PM

...when they treat you like their own personal therapist.

I touched on this briefly in another thread as it related to something else. But to recap, I've got a friend who, on a weekly basis, will come to my house and dump her emotional baggage all over my couch while I listen from a computer chair at my desk. She even asks my advice, and I offer half-remembered psychology tips or help problem solve or whatever else. I know I'm not qualified to be a therapist, and I'm not saying my advice is so good that she should be paying me. I also understand that it isn't uncommon for friends to discuss their problems with one another when the occasion calls for it. But the weekly schedule of her sprawling out on my couch and venting about her various life issues feels too much like she wants me to play therapist, and I think there are some lines being crossed here.

Moreover, I'm a psychopath, which is something she isn't aware of, and that only exacerbates the boundary issues and potential for manipulation or hurt feelings or whatever.

Am I reading too much into this? She has expressed a desire for me to open up to her (considering my condition, that's unlikely to happen regardless), but I'm getting the impression that this therapy-like relationship would be very much one-sided. I don't really bond with people, so I can't tell if this is normal bonding behavior, or if she's just using me as an emotional dumpster. I've had friends vent about their problems to me before, but not like this.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
stahrgeyzer, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Blknblu