View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Jul 09, 2019 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
But I don’t see how you manipulate and control anyone if these people in fact take advantage of your valuable time and energy by making you listening to all their boring venting. In what way you manipulate these people when they are the ones benefiting here? It sounds like they manipulate you into providing them with pseudo- therapy for free and a shoulder to cry on, sounds boring. Fighting boredom with more boredom. Not sure where is the challenge there?

Learning some new exciting skill would be more challenge, wouldn’t it be?
I never said the subject of her venting was boring. In fact, it involved someone nearly getting stabbed, so it was a rather exciting story. Also, I wasn't just passively listening, but offering my opinion.

Considering the severity of the incident, I'm really not surprised that she would want to talk with someone about it, and it would've been fine if she had stopped there. But she didn't, and it seems as if she's trying to make this pseudo-therapy into a regular thing. Therein lies the problem.

It's definitely manipulative on her end, which wouldn't really bother me as long as I was getting something out of it. My thought was to figure out a way to set up a boundary tactfully in order to preserve the friendship, or at least so we could still be roommates. But I don't think that's possible.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote