View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Jul 11, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxious View Post
I am puzzled of what makes people tick in everyday life. When I go out literally dragging myself to do what I have to do, like buying groceries, I see people energetic, awake with a strong desire to live, driving, working, talking loudly, laughing, enjoying life... etc. It seems to me, there is a seed of life in everyone that I am missing. Even the less fortunate people have energy to do things I have no energy to do. Even eating is so much effort for me, and often I eat only when I have a headache, i.e., I force myself to eat. What makes you tick? Where do you get your energy and mental strength from? From your friends, family, partner, children ... ? Do you force yourself to live, talk, ... etc, or it comes naturally and effortlessly to you? I am not talking about the lack of struggle in others lives, but their desire and energy to live.
Have you always felt this way? Or do you think it is mostly because of depression and/or medication sedation?

My psychiatrist once told me I had a hyperthymic temperament as a baseline. I also have bipolar disorder type 1 (hyperthymic temperament shares characteristics with hypomania). Looking back, I was on the up side (even if mixed) much more than the down side. That doesn't mean I didn't have a few long depressive periods with anhedonia and low energy. I've written a lot about my low energy periods.

To answer your question, I have often had a "pursuit of pleasure" thing going on. IOW, the ability to find pleasure from small things in life, a lot of the time. That makes me tick. Whether or not that's a talent or a gift from hyperthymic temperament, I don't know. Again, I do experience grief, sadness, frustration, anger, defeat/disappointment, and other feelings, too, at times. One thing I have rarely ever felt was complete hopelessness. I know I will always bounce back. I have never truly been suicidal. During severe mixed episodes (even with psychosis) I have been a danger to myself, but mostly calls for help.

I have a healthy self-esteem, but in a good way.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Jul 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote