View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Jul 12, 2019 at 09:16 AM

These days a lot of companies are frowning on staff not using their mandated vacation time. It used to be that you could work through it and get paid out for the time you didn't take. But that ends up costing the employer more money. So yes, one is encouraged to take time off ----- there are solutions to this however.

Talk to your employer about other options. I highly doubt you are going to have a confrontation.

Options?

Some employers will allow you to work your designated time off into your regular work week. An example would be working a four-day work week. Another solution might be working a shortened work day. Do you feel you could approach your boss with such suggestions. I once had a great deal of ETO coming my way so I worked a spring and summer getting every Friday afternoon off.

BUT...

I really think you need to address just why you wish to avoid taking time off in the first place. I admit, I fail to understand this. Any respectable employer would be making steps to ensure the work gets done without you - at least that which is a priority.

The way I see it you deserve this vacation time of yours. Others in your workplace take theirs and there are obviously no repercussions so why would it be so bad if you took yours?

I say take the time off to regroup yourself and hopefully enjoy it. Leave your laptop and work phone at home.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote