Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 12, 2019 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
So you've been in a relationship for a while. Maybe you are living together... what do you call your other half? What are you most comfortable with? At what point do you elevate the term you use from boy or girlfriend to spouse to husband or wife? Is it wrong to refer to the person you share your home with your spouse?

I just wonder.

I've recently started referring to my other half in life as my husband. At 66 maybe boyfriend is too humorous a term for him. I have gotten snickers. I think it funny at times too. "Manfriend" seems too wordy, and partner seems to give people a different idea. No problem with that but I'd prefer they understood just who I am talking about. So I have come down to now calling him my "husband." We certainly feel it that way. I am comfortable with that.

But I have gotten some disapproval from the more traditional types.

So my question is, what do you refer to your long term relationships as and how do others respond?
What matter is that you and your other half are comfortable with whatever term you use.

That doesn't mean that others in your life have to call him your husband. My dad who will turn 80 this year calls his gf by her first name--I don't remember him using any other term for her. They have been together for a while and I use the term gf. As long as she makes my dad happy (of course it is not perfect but I assume she does otherwise why would he stay given they are not married ) then they can refer to each other by any name they want to!
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
WishfulThinker66