Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 13, 2019 at 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinker66 View Post
So you've been in a relationship for a while. Maybe you are living together... what do you call your other half? What are you most comfortable with? At what point do you elevate the term you use from boy or girlfriend to spouse to husband or wife? Is it wrong to refer to the person you share your home with your spouse?
Quote:
spouse noun
\ ˈspau̇s also ˈspau̇z \
Definition of spouse: married person : HUSBAND, WIFE
Quote:
Husband
noun
a married man considered in relation to his spouse.
When it comes to the actual definitions referring to a partner using terms related to marriage when you are not would be "incorrect" factually. But that is just by basing it on the actual definition. Looking at it from the perspective of commitment and love for each other I can see how people can label themselves husband or wife even if they are not legally tied to each other. Calling someone your boyfriend to me is someone you care for and exclusively date. Partner to me indicated love, commitment, monogamous and living together.

I've recently started referring to my other half in life as my husband. At 66 maybe boyfriend is too humorous a term for him. I have gotten snickers. I think it funny at times too. "Manfriend" seems too wordy, and partner seems to give people a different idea. No problem with that but I'd prefer they understood just who I am talking about. So I have come down to now calling him my "husband." We certainly feel it that way. I am comfortable with that.

But I have gotten some disapproval from the more traditional types.

So my question is, what do you refer to your long term relationships as and how do others respond?
I think calling your partner husband is a gray area but only in the sense of legality. Personally I would prefer partner but I say husband out of habit.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote