View Single Post
Roamer1115

Member Since Jun 2019
3 hugs
given
Default Jul 14, 2019 at 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the sharing about sobriety and AA as well as other options.

I've been sober in AA for almost forty years. For the last five years have been in assisted living and limited in my functions outside. I have stayed sober without meetings but finally got arraigned transportation for two meetings per week. I was able to use the program while not attending meetings. I also was able to use other personal growth disciplines, Buddhism , church, therapy, medical establishment that was a must at time.

There are many things as most of you touched on that are negative in AA communities, meetings and groups. I have complained about as much negative as positive stuff in AA. What I have learned is to take what I want and leave the rest. What is good for me today may not be good for me tomorrow. I have made to basic program, that is the twelve steps and twelve traditions into a personal program for myself. I still need a therapist today, since I go really isolated and emotionally scared is the only way to put it. It is still hard for me to get in the meetings with other people but it gets easier. I do this for two reasons, one is that I do feel a common bound with other alcoholics and this is a plus, the second reason is that I am slowly working my way out of isolation and have a bit more ability to function in society at large. I even went to the gym the other day, all planned by myself.

For those that want to attend AA meetings but have other stuff they like to do...I would suggest some speaker meetings and trying different locations. People are people all over the place. Some good speakers are very entertaining and even fun to listen to.

So in a nut shell from first decision and acceptance that I am an alchoholic, going to three meetings a day, even when I didn't want to and getting a sponsor, doing all of the steps in order and using them as I needed them, making the actions of the tenth step my daily life, to falling flat on my face, with a stroke, probably cause by prescriptions a trusted medical doctor gave me.

I have fought to get off all meds and believe me it is a fight to get these insurance regulated doctors to change or stop a medication. I am back on a much better road of recovery.

I intend to keep a varied social life out in the community as well a stuff I need for my personal growth, not to limit myself to AA social community or any other. I am learning my limits of what I can do and keep myself grounded at times, balanced at times and hope for more improvement as I get near the end of the road...perhaps with a bit less struggle and trudging.

There is a chapter in the Big Book, A Vision For You, that kinda really sums up for me what it is to be an alcoholic and also what the AA program was meant to be, so that is what I would suggest anyone looking for a quick fix on AA read. More will be reveled.
Roamer1115 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi