View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Jul 16, 2019 at 09:19 AM

Shakespeare, that's great you've got a pension coming to you. So many people don't, even people who've worked a long time at some bigger companies.

Both my husband and I have 401Ks that our companies contribute(d) to. My husband's amount is OK. Mine doesn't have nearly as much in it, because I put off contributing to it for a while, and then I went on disability. Luckily, our house has a lot of equity. It almost tripled in value since we bought it, though we did take out a home equity loan for a particular amount, at one point. Beyond these things, I guess we'll be depending on Social Security (if it's still available) and a possible inheritance, which we can't be 100% sure will be there. [There's always the chance of nursing homes, plus my dad is an alcoholic and has untreated bipolar disorder.] As for the home, we do plan to move to a lower priced home in a few years.

Health insurance is obviously a concern. We have had health insurance through my husband's employer (he still works), plus I have Medicare on SSDI as a backup. However, who knows what to expect in the future. Our move may be to Europe, where health insurance may be more guaranteed and medications are much cheaper. My husband is a dual citizen of both the US and a European country, though pretty much all permanent residents in most European countries have protections in terms of health coverage. It's a shame to think that we might have to move away from the US for such protections. We'll see what happens in the future.

My husband is almost 14 years older than me. It is my hope that I will get back to work sometime in the future, at least on a part-time basis. I'm thinking of occupations that I could do from home, too. Ditto for hubby. Many people must work until they die. Gone are the days when many people retire at 52 years old, like my father did. He only could, at that age, because of my mother, then my mother's inheritance, and then him inheriting my mother's money when she died. He has invested much of that money. The stock market has been doing well. Unfortunately, many people aren't well enough off to be making oodles from a stock market. Many people in the US don't have any money to be playing the stock market. And...stock markets can crash. It's almost always the common citizen who pays the biggest price. Again, we'll see what happens in the future.

Absolute reality. Not fake news!

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Jul 16, 2019 at 09:49 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
shakespeare47