Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,280 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 16, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoretical View Post
It was five years back. I'm not sure how quickly police departments change their policies, nor how quickly police officers change their perspectives on rape victims, but memories don't fade that easily. But hey, maybe *counts fingers* ... fifth time will be the charm?

To be clear, that's five different times I've had dealings with the cops of my own volition for various different reasons, one of which involved a rape, and two of which were the DV calls on my neighbors that I mentioned previously. I don't necessarily blame the cops in the DV case because there's nothing they really could've done short of making sure he didn't kill her that night. It isn't their job to play therapist to some belligerent loser. Nonetheless, the husband still
Possible trigger:
shortly after getting out of jail, and nothing really changed. Eventually, people stopped calling, knowing it would only make it worse in the long run.

I think, like with divine's case, the cops are a useful tool to stop the worst case scenario (or punish the perp after the fact). But I think subtlety is preferred when it hasn't quite reached that level. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, one could provide information on DV shelters or CPS to the wife while the husband isn't looking. That puts the power in her hands and allows her the chance to exit with the kids safely and quietly.
Good points.

But in my story nothing really got to any level above level that OP observed in the camp. The guy was just yelling, just like a guy in the camp. . No violence. It didn’t sit well with me though. What I was trying to say is you never know what’s going on
so it’s better to call.

Also police will work with CPS and DV. It’s not completely separate. Regardless which organization you call, there will be follow ups from other organization. You call CPS, they’ll inform police, you call police, they will inform CPS etc etc

I don’t see a point in giving a woman info on CPS. If you see children being abused, you call CPS yourself. I’d not rely on her protecting her children if she allows abuse. It’s not like she never heard of CPS. She likely knows if she allows abuse, kids could be removed from her home
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote