View Single Post
Anonymous40099

Default Jul 19, 2019 at 07:54 PM

Yes, they told me they offer help to current students who are about to graduate only. After I graduate and my student no. is no longer valid, they stop offering advice and help, and direct the students to other public agencies. This is how it works here. I registered in the Alumni website and made a profile there once. I am not sure why I didn't go back, maybe because there was no one using it or there was no activity. I forgot to be honest.

Yes, I get the feeling that the people I reach out to think they are more deserving than me. I am sure there was someone who helped them, but again because they are more deserving. Even my academic supervisor probably thinks I don't deserve to be helped, although I did fairly well in my dissertation with him, but he knows I didn't do well afterwards.

I was hoping to find a job an advance in my career in these 2 years. But it's still an option to get another master degree. A degree in CS is more in demand, and could open more opportunities. I will need to study this option more carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
Wow. So your university's career center puts a cap on helping alumni find a job? That's bogus! I'm 48 and graduated from my university's grad program in 2013 and can still make appointments at the career center there for help finding a job and I can contact alumni in my city to ask them to help me find a job too. Nothing's come up yet from that, but those are options. That STINKS that your university's career center won't help you after 5 years. That seems very suspicious to me.

I say go for that second masters in computer science and work if you know it will help you get a job in a field/industry you have an interest in. Yes, you'll have to read a lot but you can find resources to help you (also, most grad school classes put students into 'cohorts' or study groups for the entire course, so you can break up reading assignments by person in your cohort group and get notes from other group members that summarize the other parts of the reading assignments).

It's a good choice and screw it, just take out student loans. Did you know, that if you are on social security, student loan lenders CANT take that money from you. And, even if you are on SS and work a part-time job, you can do IBR -- income based repayment or apply for financial hardship and defer your student loans. So, really think about going back to grad school if you know your other options for employment are limited. It can totally open up new employment opportunities for you -- grad school.

You sound just like me. Your friend sounds like everyone else who has a stable job -- very insensitive and doesn't understand the long-term effects of not being employed. I gave up confiding in family and friends about my employment situation exactly because of what you experienced with this friend of yours.

They just don't get it and are totally insensitive to our situation b/c they are 1) glad they're not in our situation and 2) don't want to offer us empathy b/c they think we are lazy or not trying hard enough etc. etc. because they are just clueless and at the end of the day, people are judgmental jerks.

Do not take it personally what this idiot said to you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky