Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by added View Post
So... did you replace your meds with something else?? I'm not sure what would take the slack of my not taking meds... Thanks in advance for your insights...

I rode the Med Merry Go Round for many years, I was Med free for a year but eventually I hit a wall, I did need them again but I was able to start off on very low doses but over time they all got increased.

I now have metabolic syndrome from psych meds and meds I have to take for numerous physical health problems.

So earlier this year after much thought, and research... I wanted off meds again if for nothing other than giving my body a break from a constant intake of chemicals.

I slowly tapered meds and allowed for time to reset my brain to function sans meds. So I do feel clearer. But I also have a huge toolbox of coping skills.

Will I need meds again at some point ? I’m sure. But long term use of AP’s has been shown to cause permanent brain shrinkage, but then studies also show untreated Bipolar episodes show the same. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

I think what happens sometimes a person is on Med ABC then they get worse so another Med is added and without even noticing a person can be over medicated which is as bad as under medicating.

I don’t recommend anyone just stop there meds, but for me it was the right thing to do even if it’s only for right now.

Hugs from:
added, Wild Coyote, yellow_fleurs

Thanks for this!
added, Moose72, Phoenix_1, Wild Coyote