View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 20, 2019 at 07:32 AM

I just wanted to chime in about AA and medications. I have found that there is large subset of AA people who think all medication is bad and you are not sober if you take anything, especially a controlled substance. I think this scares away many people from AA especially those that have mental illnesses. I know the literature talks about how we are NOT doctors and its not our job to advise people about medications and health matters. We drink or drank and that is where our expertise lies.

I had a sponsor once who told me she would only sponsor me if I stopped my adderall. I was new and thought it was a rule. Well my life spiraled out of control and we had to part ways. My current sponsor understands. I have had 4 surgeries in a year and a half. Most recently rotator cuff surgery in March. I needed pain killers esp with the rotator cuff. I had no qualms about using them and had a legitimate need. I was fine with them and was mindful. I am contemplating going back on a once a day dose of valium due to the chaos and stress I have in my life.

It is no ones business what medications you are on. It is not a rule that you cant take something that you need. Honesty is the hallmark of AA (to thine ownself be true) and if you are mindful you will be the first to know if you are having a problem. The anti-med people in AA are my biggest pet peeves. If you do feel guilty, dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow777 View Post
Thanks ever so much for your responses, interestingly my psychotherapist has advised me to stay away from any 12 step meetings for a couple of weeks until I feel more stable (I'm also bi-polar). I TOTALLY hear you all about the timeline and the shame etc. And although I hold my hand up to being a dry drunk for MANY years, I do have to take prescribed medication for my mental health issues. After all these years I'm NOT entirely sure sitting in meetings and going through the process (again) and yes I got to step 4 (and sat on it for 8 years!!!), is going to help as much as just getting on with it. I've been stuck in inaction for years (probably down to me not working my steps), but in all honesty I need Valium to cope right now and don't feel I can go back until I'm off that. Anyway, thanks a lot, I do appreciate your responses.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi, yagr

Thanks for this!
overthinkingme