View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Jul 20, 2019 at 03:43 PM

Peter Northouse wrote a great book about leadership styles, Leadership: Theory and Practice. It's a great book. Each chapter is about a different leadership style, explained with case studies and research followed by real life case study examples of how that leadership style looks in the real workplace. It's used as a textbook in business classes (I took a business class and learned a lot about the leadership styles of my previous supervisors and it helped me learn why I failed to thrive under each of those supervisors' leadership styles that didn't match my work style or personality).

You can find each chapter of his book here.

Types of power that managers yield in the workplace, from Northouse' book:

Bases of Power -- French and Raven identify five bases of power.

Referent Power
– Based on follower’s identification and liking for the leader. A school teacher who is adored by her students has referent power.

Expert Power – Based on followers’ perceptions of the leader’s competence. A tour guide who is knowledgeable about a foreign country.

Legitimate Power – Associated with having status or formal job authority. A judge who administers sentences in the courtroom exhibits legitimate power.

Reward Power – Derived from having the capacity to provide rewards to others. A supervisor who gives rewards to employees who work hard is using reward power.

Coercive Power – Derived from having the capacity to penalize or punish others. A coach who sits players on the bench for being late to practice is using coercive power.

In my business course we had to take this quiz to help us figure out what our own leadership and follower-ship styles are, to help us figure out what work environment and what kind of manager we thrive under or fail under. It was really interesting! Happy reading!!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous40643

Thanks for this!
Yzen