Thread: Motivation
View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Jul 22, 2019 at 07:26 PM

I recall a few years when "motivation" was one of my biggest challenges. I'm talking no motivation to do anything beyond tap tap on my laptop intermittently throughout the day, yearning for some social contact.

I think one of my very first good suggestions from a therapist about motivation was creating a "I want to do" list. The key to such a list when struggling a lot with motivation, is to NOT list things that are way beyond your current capability. My list included the simplest things, which were still major accomplishments, to me. Then I added a few "BONUS!!!!" things I could do. Here's an example:

1. Get up and brush teeth
2. Make bed, even if I make the bed and immediately lie back down on it. But on the made bed, not in the unmade bed.
3. Unload the bottom part of the dishwasher

Bonus things:

1. Unload the top part of the dishwasher, and if I can, put at least some dirty dishes in it.
2. Fry a kielbasa and put mustard, bread, and a tomato on the table.
3. Walk to the end of the block and back.

Now, the above seem pretty pathetic, but when you're really really struggling, the above are major accomplishments. The point is to see them as major accomplishments and feel proud and rewarded when you get some (not even all) of them done. One thing I did was to send my husband the top list in the morning, and as I got items done, I let him know by email. He'd legitimately give me kudos, because he knew my situation. That "Atta Girl!" was a pleasant reward. It made me want to do more and more, including more than even the bonus list items.

The above is a first step. Motivation increase is often a baby steps process.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Jul 22, 2019 at 08:44 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Jedi67, Wild Coyote, yellow_fleurs

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote, yellow_fleurs, ~Christina