View Single Post
kimmydawn
Legendary

Member Since Oct 2004
23 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM

A good thing that works WELL is changing the focus...especially at that age.

At his age, he's not apt to hold that focus of anger and it can more easily be distracted. Use that to your benefit here.

It will be alot of work at first because he's having frequent tantrums and is much too young for "reasoning". There is no reasoning with a child of that age. What helps the moment is what works.

With all the children I've been involved with (lots), that age is one of the most difficult (and certainly not the last...lol). Try to quickly (before he gets to the out-of-control screaming) try to re-focus to something different. Please don't look at it as giving in. You're not. You're working on a plan, so actually you're "winning" there.

After a time, his little self won't be used to having such frequent tantrums and you'll be finding yourself having to do this less.

Things I would do to re-focus is start patty cake (even loud and silly), walk outside and do a loud mock shock or amazement at "nothing" and point, do something almost as loud or attention grabbing as his behavior to grab him for a second...that's all it takes. If he falls down on the floor screaming, mock fall after him and laugh at yourself in a silly way. Get in there with him and turn it around.

This is what I've found works the best. Babies that age work strictly off of feeling...physical or emotional raw feeling. Attention span and memory is very low and now is the best time to turn it around. Comforting and maintaining control is paramount as when they feel that way and so much, it can be very scary for them...out of control feeling...and only ramps things up.

There were even times (when at its peak) I would sit behind my boy, holding him close while he screamed and kicked saying, "Mommy's here and loves you" in very soothing words over and over and over again.

Of course, you only want to do these things when you DO feel in control. Children know us sometimes better than we know ourselves. Let him know you're in control and that it's going to be alright by showing him that...grabbing his attention and turning it around, or just keeping him safe in your arms until it's over repeating in a soothing tone.

These things have never let me down. I wouldn't have considered, personally, a time out at that age. Now, there were times that I placed my children in their crib when I felt frustrated or even angry, but not as a form of hoping to correct behaviors. I feel that's leaving them to their own devices to handle something they're not equipped on any level to handle with their limited understanding and skills. That said, sometimes it's necessary to do so long enough for mom to "breathe".

I know what you're going through, and good luck!

KD