View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
Smile Jul 30, 2019 at 10:44 PM

Hello DeeperShadows: Thank you for bringing your concern here to PC. I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to Psych Central.

You wrote you: "don't understand whether or not there's something wrong with me or not." I can't tell you that. However, since you wrote the thoughts you're having don't interfere with your life at all & that you do understand the thoughts are inappropriate (not something you would ever act on) my inclination would be to say the thoughts you're having are simply intrusive thoughts. We all have unwanted, intrusive thoughts of one sort or another. But as long as you understand they're just thoughts & not something you need to act on then, at least to my mind, they're just more of a nuisance than anything. If as time passes they become more of a problem for you, then this might be something for which you might consider seeking the help of a mental health professional.

Here are links to 5 articles, from Psych Central's archives, on the subject of how to let go of intrusive, obsessive or just plain stuck thoughts:

9 Ways to Let Go of Stuck Thoughts

5 Ways to Free Yourself From Dark and Obsessive Thoughts

7 Ways to Stop Obsessing

How You Can Overcome Intrusive Thoughts | Dialectical Behavior Therapy Understood

Coping with Obsessive Thoughts

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote