View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jul 31, 2019 at 04:39 PM

Hello Matr0shka: Thank you for bringing your concern here to PC. I see this is your first post. So... welcome to Psych Central I have not been in the type of situation you describe. So I can't be of any help with regard to your dilemma. But I noticed no one had yet replied to your post. So I thought I would.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds as though your mother is seriously ill... probably too ill even be able to make the decision to seek the treatment she needs let alone follow through. So the only possible solution I would see would be for you, or perhaps another family member, to seek legal guardianship over her. Then you, or whoever became her guardian, would have the legal right to make decisions regarding her care. I think the first step in this process might be to consult an attorney where you live who is knowledgeable regarding legal guardianship in North Carolina.

Another alternative, I presume, (without knowing anything about how guardianship works in N.C.) would be to have the state department of human services become the guardian. Sometimes, I believe, there are also private companies that provide guardianship services under contract to a state's department of human services. But I don't know if that sort of thing occurs in N.C.

Here's a link to the North Carolina DHHS website on the subject of legal guardianship:

NC DHHS: Guardianship and Alternatives to Guardianship

My best wishes to you & your family.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
unaluna