Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 31, 2019 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
Again, I don't think it's about 'having a point', it's simply something that is. If I'm in pain, for example, I just want the pain to stop - even if there is no way for it to end. I don't want to die, even though I cannot prevent it. You make it seem like this is a choice.

It would be illogical to not desire these things, and also be illogical to actively pursue that which is impossible, and both are true and right at the same time.

What is the purpose of happiness? What is the purpose of any emotion?
No, dying isn’t a choice. I never said it is. Quite the opposite. You are the one saying about not wanting to age and wanting to be immortal. It’s fantastical thinking and I don’t engage in it. We either age and die or die young. There are no other options. You are acting like it’s choice. It isn’t. Now by no means if dreaming of living forever rocks your boat, I see no problem with it. It seems to make you unhappy though.

Sure there is purpose in happiness. We only have one life so I prefer to enjoy it.

Now some things we can’t control. Perhaps you can’t control your hate of your own body. Or your loneliness and boredom. But you hopefully can control your desire for unattainable things. That’s why I asked for the purpose of you wanting things that can’t happen. It causes you suffering. Unless you enjoy suffering what’s the point?
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote