Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 02, 2019 at 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W. Harris View Post
I have not met a competent male or female mental health professional. I know the managers of this board do not like me to post things like this, but that is my opinion. I had a therapist in Orlando who had one of those light things where the red lights move back and fourth across a bar. I believe he wanted to use that on me. Try to put me under hypnosis. Because of my situation we never got around to it. But if he ever brought it up I was going to tell him that I would only allow a mental health professional to try and hypnotize me if I was under someone like Dr. Colin Ross and inpatient in a hospital. When Dr. Ross uses hypnosis to try to help his patients integrate he has another mental health professional in the room and he video or audio tapes the session. The patient gets to know everything that was discussed while under hypnosis. That is the "professional" way to treat a DID patient. I would not trust any individual mental health professional to put me under deep hypnosis in any other setting.
I wonder if what you are referring to is a light bar for EMDR therapy (instead of hypnosis). You don't get hypnotised at any stage in EMDR therapy but are quite conscious. However not any old EMDR therapist should use EMDR therapy with dissociative clients, they have to have special training in the theory of structural dissociation before using it with clients who dissociate. My therapist does EMDR with me using a light bar, but she is very, very careful about using EMDR techniques and we don't do trauma processing yet. But I don't get hypnotised in any part of my therapy, not even when using the light bar for eye movement sets.
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote