View Single Post
progressnotperfectn
Newly Joined

Member Since Aug 2019
Lightbulb Aug 02, 2019 at 05:12 PM

Ever since I developed an eating disorder 16 years ago I have had digestive problems that got worse over the years to the point where they currently affect me every day and make it difficult to enjoy many things because they are constantly there. Namely I have extreme bloating, belching (even if I haven't eaten in several hours or when I awake in the morning) and chronic constipation and GERD. I literally have to stop in between every couple of bites or sips because of the need to burp and regurgitation. I had anorexia for the first 4 years and bulimia for the next 9 years and for the last couple years I've really been making progress with eating regularly spaced and balanced meals and following my hunger cues although I still need improvement. My weight has been steadily in the healthy range for the last 12 years. I tested negative for food allergies, gastroparesis and no findings on an endoscopy. GERD medication had no effect. I don't have a history of vomiting as I purged through exercise, fasting and occasional laxatives. I tried probiotics and the low FODMAP diet for a month, which was recommended by my gastroenterologist, but given how restrictive it is I was unable to continue without using eating disorder behaviors. I didn't notice a difference but have heard it might take longer than a month. About 5 years ago I went back to a dietician who specialized in ED and she didn't know why I had these digestive problems which was really frustrating because I was completely honest with her about all symptom use. At this point my eating disorder behaviors include binge/restrict 0-4 times a week and 1-4 single doses of laxatives per month to relieve constipation (I truly don't use them to purge). I don't vomit or overexercise. My digestive problems make it more difficult for me to follow my meal plan because I feel more bloated/pain after eating and am frustrated beyond words. I question if my digestive problems would go away if I ate regularly for a few months but I have never made it past one month😭 I also wonder if I'm consuming more fiber or sugar than my stomach can handle. Another problem is when I try to limit anything in my diet I fall back into using more ED behaviors. I've had a lot of anxiety for my whole life even before the ED and I have made a lot of progress with decreasing my anxiety with DBT and CBT over the last 5 years, so I'm not convinced that's causing my digestive problems but I guess I can't know for sure. Has anyone had a similar situation and know of anything that alleviated digestive problems for them? Or has anyone had digestive problems resolve after not using ED behaviors for a length of time? I would love to hear from anyone who can relate as I am extremely frustrated and running out of ideas.
progressnotperfectn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ShaggyChic_1201, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Skeezyks