View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Aug 03, 2019 at 09:45 AM

I had periods of hunger and mini binges before I ever took medications, too. I think symptoms of the disorder itself can make people want to "self-medicate" with something. Often it is food. I do acknowledge that some (not all) bipolar medications can be weight unfriendly, bringing on extra hunger and lowered metabolism. Fatigue and sedation itself can make me want to eat as a conscious or unconscious way of wanting to energize myself. Stress makes most people in the world either overeat or even lose their appetites. I think which way it goes can vary by person or even situation.

I have taken bipolar medications that clearly were culprits for past weight gain. However, I think self-medication has been the biggest culprit for me. My weight has gone up and down a lot since I was even a late teen, because of mood or energy issues. Right now, I am overweight, but not very overweight. If I could lose 17 pounds I'd have a normal BMI again. It's highly possible that I would be my current weight right now even if I had never taken a bipolar medication. At my highest weight before bipolar medications, I was only 5 to 8 lbs more than I am now. Back then I was 31 years old. Now I'm in my late 40s. I have taken a notoriously "weight unfriendly" medication for the last seven years. I believe I'd be heavier on a particular more weight unfriendly medication. Some people say they've gained extreme amounts on the particular medication I'm referring to. My weight gain has likely be standard weight gain with aging. Everyone reacts to medications differently. For that reason, though I acknowledge the role of medications in weight gain, I do not and will not put all the blame on them. In my case, that would be blaming the wrong animal at times.It's good that we have very clear ideas about the culprit(s).
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote