View Single Post
lostnthought

Member Since Feb 2019
Default Aug 04, 2019 at 06:27 AM

hey david. Sounds like you're in a tough situation.

First, I'm not a clinical pyschologist, I'm not an expert on Aspergers and all it's many faces. But I have lived with it all my life. So I know it well, at least from my own perspective. I know that, even as a young boy and teenager, I couldn't stand anything out of order, anything out of place. One, then two, then three, then four. Everything has to have an order. My room was always neat and clean, unlike my brothers, who were typical messy, unruly teenagers. And I've always, strongly felt, there are rules in how we behave as human beings. Selfishness and dishonesty never made sense to me, even as a boy. I simply don't understand it, I can't comprehend. One, then two, then three, then four. My brothers, again, were as wild and irresponsible as any teenager can be. (Yes, I was my mother's favorite. But not because I craved her praise; to that I was strangely indifferent, even embarrassed.) So I find the description of your son, much more like my brothers than me, a typical young adult who'd rather just crash in his parent's basement, playing video games, than take responsibility for himself, and find his own way in life. I don't want to be unfair, but he sounds very normal to me.

Maybe I could suggest, you print out your post, then simply hand it to him. Maybe that will strike a cord.

I wish you all the best.
lostnthought is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote