Thread: Nothing is real
View Single Post
Anonymous43089

Default Aug 04, 2019 at 04:34 PM

Nothing!

Ehem. Anyway.

Over the past few years, I've gotten the impression that I'm unable to form deeply held beliefs or character traits. I pretend at these things all the time, and I change character traits and beliefs faster than normal people change their wardrobe. Nothing ever really sticks. I think developing a strong identity requires a level of emotional depth that I simply don't have.

Some time ago, I made a comment in another post along the lines of, "To the expert deceiver, truth and lies serve the same function - to convince you of something." At the time, it was just kind of a flippant remark. Upon reflection, I think there was a lot more truth to that statement than I had originally intended. I began this exercise as a way to be more honest about myself, but I've come to realize that truth has no more meaning to me than lies. That is, when I "open up" to someone about who I really am and what experiences I've had, it doesn't mean anything to me. Though it does seem to have a profound impact on them. Strange.

I don't know what to do about that. I'm just musing.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote