View Single Post
Yellowbuggy

Member Since Oct 2014
42 hugs
given
Default Aug 07, 2019 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
Sounds a lot like falling for his charm again. Watch out for yourself.
I disagree. I don't think T is falling for T's 'charm' but rather recognizing the value he's providing to her in session, which she is seeing evidence of in real life. This is the true measure of the success of therapy.

I love this T. He reminds me a lot of my T. He's direct, honest, and communicates his boundaries clearly and consistently. This is important for people like LT and I (sorry LT, hope you don't mind that I lump you in there with me).

My T once told me I was histrionic. He didn't say it in anger or disgust, but rather plainly - as though he was telling me I had a poppy seed stuck in my teeth. He used the word to describe my tendency toward being overly dramatic and excessively emotional. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. However, as painful as it was to hear, it was true. Once I got through the emotional distress of being described as histrionic by someone whose respect I so desperately sought, I was able to see it as a bit of a gift. He didn't like me any less because I was histrionic, and I would not have learned that lesson if we didn't face it head on. I can be histrionic AND likeable.

LT, we both have a tendency to over-analyze. I think your T is tailoring your therapy for your needs - not because he doesn't understand psychoanalysis, but rather because he doesn't think participating in in-depth psychoanalysis will help. For example, I believe he addressed your affinity for the term 'transference' once, asking if perhaps you were connecting everything to an emotion rooted in the past when that isn't always the case. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I have OCD as well. I tend to need things to be done my way to relieve the discomfort. By not agreeing to your request to stand at the end of session, he's forcing you to face the discomfort of not having your way. You will not progress if you do not experience the discomfort and move through it. Discussing what it means to you is important, but not getting what you want is equally as important.
Yellowbuggy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight

Thanks for this!
healed84, Lonelyinmyheart, LonesomeTonight, Polibeth, SlumberKitty, Xynesthesia2, zoiecat