Metaphysic

Member Since Aug 2016
4,912 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 07, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Tripper View Post
There are ups and down to a college or university. The down is the cost and the gamble of good professors,. In my experience, that's mostly with philosophy--the philosophy professors were awesomely bad a, but only in philosophy! It's 50/50 that you'll get a bad philosophy professor. I had one racist philosophy professor that said one white man was more creative than 10 Asian men. I had another that would childishly call me names like "meno". I had another one that tortured his students with Wittgensteining Philosophy in my phl of mind class. The level of stress this man brought to the class because he wanted them all to give up philosophy. It ultimately lead to my sz breakdown because I had him in two classes in a semester, and did a symposium with him. My ancient philosophy professor read a few paragraphs of Homer in an anthology and decided to "teach" homer--the first day of class of that he lost the entire class because many of them already read Homer and disagreed with him outloud.. A kid in the front row would always take naps because it never got above room temperature in that class. He never showed excitement. I think he didn't like me right away because I politely asked him if he would go over Pythagoras, but instead he didn't want to excite a student, and instead dragged us through every other pre socratic, except Socrates the man, and Pythagoras,

All my experiences with math, science, psychology, History, lit, were fantastic though. But with phl,, I don't know, I had a better experience with philosophers in community college rather than the university. I don't know why that is. It was crazy to see my philosophy of science professor openly criticize my philosophy of early modern philosophy just because I asked her what's the distinction between continental and analytical, and then I went to him to ask the same question. Then He criticize my philosophy of mind, and thought he took down Wittgenstein while he was at it in like a 2 minute period.

Philosophers at the university basically want you to be a good dog, sit in the chair and not ask questions, and agree with their own philosophy. Then you're a good boy, and if you're a good enough boy by obeying them, then they will write you a letter of recommendation.

I wasn't a blank slate coming into the university regarding philosophy, because I read most of the books before hand.

For instance, my philosophy of science professor somehow tried to do a Segway into 1984 while I was under psychosis, thinking everything was hacked, and that people were spying on me and my girlfriend. He said the meaning of 1984 was that you couldn't make love in private.
A: that triggered the **** out of me
B: he was so far off from the true meaning, which was right there on the first page, that you can't be an individual with individual thoughts. Winston Smith's first act was that he started a journal--that was the original sin he committed against his government.

Okay, im venting. I'll stop now.

If I can vent anywhere, I guess this might be the best place. Sorry guys.
Rants are one of my favourite things.

I just have no energy but I feel excited and inspired to continue my progress on the internet. Having access to all information is a good thing and all I did as a teenager is sleep.

I know more about myself and how the world works and reality in my 20[s than a 40 year old a few decades ago.
Desoxyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote