View Single Post
Anonymous40099

Default Aug 08, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Why have you developed this phobia? I have always feared on choking, especially on pills. Two months ago I was taking a large pill, and it actually stuck in my throat, but then made its way through the esophagus. However, I wasn't sure about that, and I felt it was still stuck in my throat. After 8-9 hours of this persisting feeling, I went to the ER and I did an X-ray, and everything was clear, and the doctor told me I probably just scratched the back of my throat. After that incident for 2 weeks I started to have panic attacks at night that I am choking and I felt shortness of breath whenever I ate anything, and I went to the ER a couple of times because of that. I think this was a reaction to the trauma of not swallowing the pill correctly exaggerated by my anxiety. Now I feel better, but started to be very cautious when eat, and avoid food that may have sharp part, like fish with bones (I have always been afraid of fish bones, but I was eating it nonetheless), and recently I started to be afraid for example of dropping some egg shell when I make scrambled egg. I also keep chewing food for a long time sometimes, especially when I suspect something, like making sure to chew an almond very well before swallowing it. So, yes, I have this phobia of choking on food and pills, but it's less severe than yours. I still eat, but certain foods makes me more anxious than others.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky