View Single Post
Anonymous40099

Default Aug 08, 2019 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Relationships between parents & children can be so complicated. My parents are both long since dead now. But I still find myself ruminating over things that happened between my parents & myself over half a century ago! My own experience tells me we never get over these things entirely. But they do mellow with time.
We expect our parents to be supportive and loving. When they are not, it hurts. A lot. Love and punishments cannot go hand by hand. To me his punishments to me, criticism, yelling ... define our relationships. Nothing else. I don't believe when he says he loves me or cares about me. How could I and he wished me once to die because I wasn't like what he wants me to be?

My father has always assumed I am in the wrong. He has never defended me. He is willing to take others' words on me over listening to me. The feeling of guilt is killing me, though. I am angry, I am the one who is hurt from it. If I direct it towards him I feel guilty and depressed, if I keep it to myself I feel depressed, too. I wish things were easier.

Anyway, I ended up sending him a message saying I didn't mean to snap at him like that, but I was upset because the interview didn't go well, which is partially true. I was also upset from his messages and questions and not keeping a clear boundary with me, and not trusting me what what I want to share with him.

I guess he will never change. I am just trying not to live the rest of my life in guilt.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote