View Single Post
here today
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 08, 2019 at 07:40 PM

Maybe those organizations aren't sorry because they don't have any people in them who really understand that pain that Out There and some of the rest of us do. To me, it's just obvious. Not to lots of other people apparently, though. I wonder why not? Is it just denial?

I recently went back to the Therapy Exploitation Link Line, wondering if they had anything about healing.

They don't have very much, but they do have two categories

https://www.therapyabuse.org/t2-healing.htm

Attachment to Abuser | TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

That website has been around a long time, but doesn't seem it's done much for the big picture of raising public awareness about therapy exploitation. Maybe some people just can't get it? It took a long to for sexual exploitation of children by priests in the Catholic Church to be recognized. And then it took a longer time for the institution to say they were sorry, too. I expect they were horrified, and embarrassed, and took their focus on themselves and their feelings and not on the feelings of those who had been exploited. And therefore hurt, and what that hurt actually was like. Maybe/probably some or most still have a hard time with it.

I was in a support group with someone who had been a victim, and had clearly been victimized, and had moved on. It was interesting to see -- He was not a victim any more, that was clear.. But also the pain of having been victimized -- he certainly wasn't laying that on anybody else, to feel sorry about his situation any more. It seems pretty clear to me he must have "done the work" and realized how very much he had been victimized. Accepted that victimization from the past and the pain of that situation and -- how many years? -- before he came to terms with it, sort of.

There was a strength in him I don't know I've seen from anybody else before. As in, "I was once very badly victimized, and it will not happen again." A quiet certainty that it won't happen again.

His life cannot be the same as it might have been. His trust in the church and his family is not the same as it might have been. He was badly wounded and scarred, but the scars cover what had been wounds and vulnerability, and he was not what I would call in any way "wounded" when I saw him in that group. Scarred, yes, wounded, no.

Strong, but not invincible because he was once wounded very badly. Cautious, more realistic, wiser than many young men his age. Sucks it had to happen but it did, and it's past.

That may be hogwash and not what things are really like for him at all, but that IS how it seemed to me. Maybe it's a good example of how healing might look like, I don't know.

One other thing seemed clear -- he knows it was not his fault.

If the institutions said they were Sorry, then that would make clear they didn't think it was your fault, either.

BUT -- even if they don't, knowing it is not your fault is #1 on this list, provided in a link on TELL

Article by Shahida Arabi: “What Abuse Survivors Don’t Know: 10 Life-Changing Truths” – Surviving Therapist Abuse

I just wrote a lot of words -- don't know if any of them will help. But like Out There, I hope it helps a little to hear that you are heard, and that you are not alone with your pain.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
koru_kiwi, Out There, precaryous