View Single Post
feridust

Member Since Apr 2019
Default Aug 09, 2019 at 03:50 PM

For most of my adult life I've struggled with body image issues, and 5 years ago I went through inpatient treatment for anorexia nervosa. Since that time I've reached a healthier weight although I still struggle with some guilt when I eat and there are days when I fast.

Anyway, my husband has struggled for years with obesity and I knew how unhappy he was about it. This year he decided he really wanted to change, kept a food diary, got advice, etc., and has reached his goal. I've been supportive of him the whole way and know it's been a lot of work. When he reached each milestone I was so happy for him and am thrilled that he feels much healthier. But I noticed something else. When he talks about his food plan for the day or which foods he now wants to avoid, I unreasonably start feeling like a glutton. Today when he said he needs to increase his calorie intake a little because he's dropping below his goal weight, it was as if that anorexia voice was saying to me, why can't you lose any weight? What's wrong with you?

I don't begrudge his weight loss, I just had no idea it would be so triggering. I don't know if anyone here has experienced this or can relate on some level.
feridust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Blue_Bird, mountainstream, unaluna, WePow