View Single Post
fern46
Grand Magnate

Member Since Mar 2019
4,300 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Hi Tessai, I am sorry you are going through this. Welcome to PC.

It is difficult to watch a family member continue to struggle when you know there are healthier alternatives. I had to suffer through that with my mother. Luckily I learned from her mistakes and chose a different path when I was diagnosed years later.

This is a minor thing, but I wouldn't call your daughter a bipolar. Some folks here take offense to that and she may as well. Just food for thought.

You mentioned your daughter is a grown woman. The sad truth is you may have to let her figure out she needs to be on meds on her own. Like an addict that needs to hit rock bottom before they quit, she may have trouble grasping the severity of her disorder if you bail her out. It would be difficult to watch, but sometimes it is the only way.

In the event you want to keep trying and stay a part of her life while she cycles, I would suggest doing some research. There are a lot of good books out there for family members of those with bipolar disorder. I read Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder. Each chapter has a special section for family members. It will help you to better understand what your daughter is going through, why she continues to make poor life choices, and what you can do to support her.

I hope things improve for you and your family soon.
fern46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341

Thanks for this!
tecomsin, ~Christina