~Christina
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 12, 2019 at 03:24 PM

I agree with the other that have gently explained about the use of the word “Bipolar” so no need for me to add onto that.

Many people young or old struggle when diagnosed, there lots of denial about having Bipolar, the stigma and uneducated masses can really make it hard for a person to accept there illness and fully commit to getting treatment and staying on it.

No one can force a person to take medication unless there is a court order, even if she was placed in a inpatient setting she could refuse certain medications even there , although most places are able to get people on something , but its job totally up to them to continue out in the real world.

My advice just be her Mom , don’t nag her about Bipolar... maybe take her to lunch and just talk about other stuff , maybe memories of fun vacations or whatever, just leave Bipolar totally out if it.

She might be one that truly needs to hit bottom, she alone is the only one who can truly commit to getting help and doing the work. Meds and a good Therapist can really make a huge difference , but she needs to take that step.

As for you being a mom and feeling helpless? I honestly think you might want to look into seeing a Therapist yourself to help understand how to help her BUT more so how to get yourself mentally healthy while dealing with her. You have to protect your own mental health and well being.

I wish you both luck

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341

Thanks for this!
fern46, luvyrself