View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Aug 12, 2019 at 04:37 PM

I think you've received a lot of great responses here, Teesai. In fact, the only other thing I could really think of was what Christina said just above. Perhaps maybe you may need therapy in order to better cope with the realities of your daughter's illness and lack of compliance. This is a common suggestion to loved ones of addicts. Yes, it is extremely similar to that.

She must want to get better, herself. There comes a time where you must stop enabling her ill behavior. It's surely extremely difficult, but almost always for the best. As others said above, she's got to hit a bottom if that's what it takes for her.

There are many parents, spouses, and other loved ones who have to eventually say:

"I love you, so I can't go on enabling your self destruction. Please realize what you are doing is harmful and get help. Only you (the ill one) can make long-lasting changes for the better."

As an end note. I have a history of alcohol abuse, as well as having bipolar disorder. I don't like when people say "alcoholics", nor do I like "bipolars". Please don't let your daughter's disorder define her. I know to some this all may seem picayune, but it is important. Language matters! Some language choices can perpetuate stigma, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, and similar, even if unintentionally.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Aug 12, 2019 at 04:51 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
~Christina