View Single Post
susannahsays
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
Default Aug 15, 2019 at 02:31 AM

The therapist definitely didn't like me when we first started talking and that was fine by me because I didn't like her either. As our interactions became less fraught with mutual hostility (ok, maybe 65 - 80% was coming from me), there was room for the dislike to dissipate. I don't dislike her anymore, although I frequently get angry. I don't think she dislikes me as a person, but she really doesn't like certain things I do and sometimes I think I exasperate her and have even angered her on occasion. But she has warmed up to me a bit. She has told me she likes me a few times, unasked, and I did not find it believable when she said it. Since it seemed like an unnatural thing for her to throw into the conversation and I had not sought such an accolade, I chose to ignore her remarks. I did once see fit to accuse her of hating me, but only because I was acting out by being manipulative and I figured that telling her I believed she hated me might make her feel bad since she obviously wanted me to think she liked me. But instead of feeling wounded or guilty, as I had intended, she just seemed annoyed.

I don't really make an effort to be likeable in general. But in therapy, I don't feel as much of a need to hide things such as my constant grumpiness and self pity. If I were the therapist, I don't think I'd like me much. And I'm also not a liar. So I guess I might be the type of therapist who let a patient think I didn't like them if that was the case. Certainly not saying that's how most therapists operate, because I don't think it is. I think most just tell their clients they like them regardless of how they actually feel. The ones who don't tell might not have positive feelings, but I think it's likelier that they have some sort of lofty therapisty nonsense reason for being weird about it.

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight