Seafarer

Member Since Jul 2019
146 hugs
given
Default Aug 15, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoose View Post
"… she ordered me to do some work on a new project that she is obsessed with…"

Having dealt with a difficult person who is now my ex-wife, I understand one basic problem in dealing with a narcissist: most people have an expectation that talking is an attempt at communication. For the narcissist it's an opportunity to impose their agenda.

So for instance, in communicating with a normal person, you might start with, "I'm upset that you were so rude…" and on the other side you would expect a response, “Ah! We are communicating! And I see that you are upset! I feel bad that you are upset! I went too far and I will now offer an apology and also an explanation of why project X seems so important.”

That doesn't work here. A narcissist's assumption starts with, "I don't care if you're upset. You don't matter. What you want doesn't matter. What you think is not worth considering. Only I matter. I should have a salad ‪for dinner tonight‬. My ideas are always correct and better than anyone’s. Why is this person wasting my time when I need to get to the gym? My project is more important than yours." ...and so on.

So, yes, I agree with other posters here: You can't communicate your feelings but you do have to draw a functional boundary and say you had other priorities, and leave it at that.

I have found "Power: Surviving and Thriving after Narcissistic Abuse" by S. Arabi to be helpful in understanding the problem, and I'm sure there are others--Psych Central is great for that too.
You have hit the nail bang on the head, and totally captured the personality of a narcissist. I was in a relationship (I thought at the time it was a friendship) with one for a couple of years before I even knew what a narcissist was. Once it was pointed out to me by some members of another online community, I was able to check off all the personality traits they listed, just as you have done here.

I never understood why this guy and I weren't communicating, despite all our conversations. They weren't real two-way communication.

Thank you for your post.
Seafarer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous48672, MrMoose, MrsA

Thanks for this!
MrMoose, unaluna