Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 16, 2019 at 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here today View Post
There's a lot about the following article that I find messed up, frightening, and just plain wrong, at least as it could be applied to me. But there are some aspects of this that I still think are interesting, at least from my experience. And an interesting point of view, if nothing else.

What therapists, with their own problems, can do about the situation is also not made at all clear in this article. But, if you feel like tolerating the c....py parts, it may be interesting or useful to read? And just ignore the junk?

Transference love and harm
thanks for sharing this article HT. it was scary how much of it i could relate too. Ex-T probably was an overlap of two of the categories, the opportunist (mainly for emotional rewards) and the third catagory, Ts who offer love.

my ex-T definitely ticked all of the boxes for the therapists actions that contribute to AIT:

Encouraging contact from the client between sessions.

Discussing details of the therapist’s privatel life, and in particular unsatisfactory aspects.

Making it clear that the client is being treated in a different way to other clients.

Self-enhancing disclosures.

Disclosures that imply a unique ‘soulmate’ type relationship between client and therapist.

Offering real love and care and becoming over involved in the practicalities of the client’s life.

Discourse that hints, often in a very subtle way, at a future ‘real’ relationship with the therapist.

Refusing to discuss the transference in an appropriate manner.

*sigh*
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Out There, RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
goatee, here today, RoxanneToto