Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 16, 2019 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedsoul View Post
Quite frequently i find myself slipping into "memories" and i am wondering if it is dissociation or is it flashbacks and if flashbacks dont have to be of traumatic events but uncomfortable circumstances or even completely random happenings that are not even unpleasant and possibly enjoyable

Example:
Going to a grocery store; in line paying for items having a small conversation with cashier.

Next day, or days later, flashing back to that moment in my mind and feeling as if i am there, even speaking aloud as if i am there only to come back frustrated because i realize I've clearly lost my whole damn mind

I am just trying to figure out what is happening sooo i can learn to control it and stop losing focus on the moment and stay present so i can become ever more successful

Thanks
only your own treatment providers can say which is which inside you.

my own treatment provider goes by the new definitions that

dissociation is a normal response to a positive or negative trigger, things like feeling numb, feeling spaced out, feeling like I am moving in slow motion, feeling like everyone one else is moving at a pace that is faster or slower than my own mind is. in other words dissociation is about feelings that contain dissociation symptoms. the likes of what you would find if you googled the diagnostic criteria for dissociative disorders.

flashbacks can also be positive or negatively triggered and is the "reliving" of an event or something...

it can be as simple as remembering what one has had for breakfast in so vivid detail that it feels like a person is right back there having that same breakfast all over again, or it could be as complicated as feeling like a person is right back there re experiencing the trauma in such vivid details that it seems like its happening right now for real all over again. most times this can be so vivid that people confuse the past for right now... example those veteran crimes you see in the news where a vet was going through flashbacks and thought they were still in the wars, or that survivor who suddenly lost it in a crowd of people injuring others because they thought it was the past at the traumatic event that happened in their lives, or natural traumatic events such as sometimes I will wake up during a storm and for a few minutes I will be reliving the hurricane that took my home years ago. I will be running around trying to grab things and stuff them in bags and baggies and packing the car up, because I am reliving that traumatic event with such details its like its happening now.

a memory is anything that I have experienced that sometimes I think about but its not like reliving it in such details as a flashback. sitting here at my computer I can remember that I made coffee this morning.

my suggestion is if this continues to bother you contact a treatment provider who can help you figure out what this is in you and get you treated for it if needed.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
elevatedsoul