View Single Post
SilverTongued

Member Since Jul 2019
21 hugs
given
Default Aug 20, 2019 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
Therapists who want their clients to be informed about possible harm can simply direct clients to this forum.

In fact, in this very thread people are describing what appear to be traumatic re-enactments, or withdrawal associated with psychological dependence.

It's euphemistically called transference or attachment.

Intensive therapy = first do harm.
I never had any insight into what other people's therapy sessions were like until I came on here recently. When you read the stories on here from a somewhat of a distance having been out of therapy for several years, it truly is horrifying. How did we get to the point in this society where we think this is helpful or productive? The total dependence and obsession with the therapist's opinions is the most notable. The confusion and mixed messages from the therapist, which illustrates how they have no more clue than their patients about what to do to "help" ease whatever the problem /reason was for seeking therapy in the first place. The fact that the therapists themselves are clearly so effed up and that the clients totally miss this fact is sad. I don't blame people who go because I've been there. Sometimes you're in that place where you NEED to believe someone can help you out of your suffering and the idea that no one can do that is terrifying. We're conditioned to believe that "seeking help" from a therapist is such a courageous act. "The first step" to a new you, a new life. It says it right there in all the therapist ads on Psychology Today. This belief in transformation is at the root of all this, I think. That we can rid ourselves of the things we don't like about ourselves/negative emotions/pain etc and be born anew under the guidance of a therapist.

The fact remains: we need to get real with ourselves and hold this industry accountable.

Thanks for this!
BudFox, koru_kiwi, Out There, SalingerEsme