View Single Post
NP_Complete
Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2017
6,364 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM

For me, there are several things that wouldn't work at all for me.

First, her sitting at her desk. That would feel cold and impersonal to me. My therapist sits in a chair across from me and sometimes moves to his rolling desk chair so he is closer to me.

Second, typing into a computer. That would be so distracting. I once had to do a phone interview with a forensic psychologist for a court case and she was typing and I found it really irritating (although, to be fair, I was already irritated at having to talk to her). My therapist takes notes on a notepad he keeps by his chair. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It doesn't (usually) bother me.

Third, asking you why you want to be depressed. What the hell kind of question is that?

Fourth, the lack of interaction. I understand that in the beginning the client is likely to do most of the talking, but there should still be some sort of interaction. Asking clarifying questions. Validating your feelings. I don't want to pay someone to sit there and be a note-taking robot.

I would personally keep looking for a therapist and see if I could find someone a little warmer.
NP_Complete is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Hummingbird1950

Thanks for this!
Hummingbird1950, seeker33