View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM

I am so sorry you experienced something so life changing and traumatic. It definitely takes time for a person to come to terms with ANY traumatic experience. When something happens that we cannot prevent or control and it's totally out of our hands, it can take a while to acknowledge all the things about it that we need to come to terms with "gradually". A person struggling to come to terms with a major trauma will go through different things when it comes to "gradually" coming to terms with whatever happened, shock, withdrawl, not wanting to think about it, asking why it had to happen, needing to talk about it with others hoping others may help us come to terms with it somehow too. There can be a rather long period of "disbelief" too before a person begins to realizing that yes it did happen and the only thing we can do is give ourselves time to gradually find our way to coming to terms with whatever it is. I use the term coming to terms instead of "accepting" because to me "accepting" tends to feel like we need to be "ok with something" when often a person will never really be "ok" with a traumatic event.

Give yourself some time and continue to seek help from a therapist too.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Hummingbird1950

Thanks for this!
Hummingbird1950, Lilwren, TunedOut