View Single Post
Hummingbird1950

Member Since May 2011
66 hugs
given
Default Aug 21, 2019 at 03:02 PM

Open Eyes, I cannot thank you enough for your detailed explanation !!!! You went to alot of work to spell things out how your therapy is helpful to you and healing too. Your explanation will help others as well, to turn to more integrated methods for a trauma model.

One thing you said about night terrors. I have those all the time. I no longer sleep in my bed for that reason. I find that short sleeps in my recliner with the lights on at night helps, but I don't get the beneficial deep sleep that I need. I had no idea that the REM part of sleep can cause night terrors and that makes alot of sense. I have done EMDR in the past and you are correct in that it doesn't make the memory go away, it reduces the impact and is soo beneficial if done by an experienced therapist. Now, I understand why I am having such issues with my sleep, especially since the recent trauma. I do wear a FitBit watch at night and it will download to my FitBit App that will track my sleep patterns and I rarely have any REM at all, nor deep sleep. I do have prolonged light sleep and dozens and dozens of wakeups.

I no longer watch TV, or the news. I do watch YouTube meditations, BiNeural Music and listen to other calming music as much as I can.

I will ask if this therapist I will see next week does EMDR, but since she does not work on grounding skills before and at the conclusion of the session, I rather doubt she will and will I let her is a good question.

I also had a very competent therapist years ago that did color and music therapy along with EMDR which was very beneficial and that was when I could tell the healing process was beginning but she retired, unfortunately and I have never found a therapist who accepts my insurance to go to.

I will be coming back to re-read your posting here because as time goes by, I will benefit from your very valuable post !!!

Birdie
Hummingbird1950 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes