Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 22, 2019 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
But that latter part, about people not understanding how I can function without emotions, is something that I think leads to a lot of misunderstanding. I don't know how to explain that. And I'm not sure what people think when I do try to explain it or when I simply don't react to certain things. Should I even bother trying?
Well, it's hard to get people to understand things they don't experience first hand themselves. For example, people who have not experienced ptsd often have all the wrong responses to those that suffer from it. They tend to say things like "don't allow and just snap out of it and don't let that bother you and you need to JUST get over it or "just let it go, you need to learn to LET THINGS GO" or just forget it and that was years ago you need to stop thinking about that and stop repeating it etc. This is because of how people simply do not understand how INTRUSIVE this challenge is and how the people who suffer from it don't WANT TO relive things that tend to get triggered from the past. Part of the reason many individuals who suffer from ptsd experience anger and at times can have short tempers, not because they are mean but because the are extremely frustrated with struggling with the challenge that so many people don't understand and constantly say some very dismissive things about. Also, there can be a spectrum to it where some individuals have it worse than others too or can experience a lot of triggers verses just a few from one traumatic event.

However, emotions are important too, we tend to remember things emotionally, even so much so that it can end up causing a person to want to find a way to heal, change, ease, help, restore, discover cures for and prevent. For example, someone really loves someone they end up having to watch slowly lose their mind to Alzheimers, so that person is so emotionally affected that they spend the rest of their lives trying to find a cure for it. For many people the only time they hear psychopath or sociopath is when there is someone who is killing a lot of people with no care at all for their victims. Most likely Epstein was a psychopath and who knows, perhaps they may study his brain to see if they can see what might be different about it. That being said, not all psychopaths turn out to be evil murderers, as mentioned in one of your other threads some become surgeons and perhaps even soldiers who can do things that others may not because they are too sensitive.
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
TunedOut

Thanks for this!
TunedOut