View Single Post
Amyjay
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 22, 2019 at 06:42 PM

I often have "flashbacks" of non-traumatic memories. We have a whole series of years that were previously unaccessible to us because they were experienced mostly by two alters, and recently we have been having "flashbacks" of that time... the places we lived, the people we knew etc. The memory flashes are not of traumatic stuff, but more sensory impressions of daily life. They definitely have a dissociative component, because they were previously not remembered at all and I am becoming aware of them for the first time. But they are not like traumatic memories, because they lack any emotional trauma (because none was associated with them). I guess for me this is simply the process of integration.... memories that were previously held by other alters are now becoming my own.
I find it curious because they are "triggered" in much the same as way as flashbacks of traumatic memory are triggered - by some sensory element - a smell, a particular visual, a relational encounter etc. But unlike traumatic flashbacks these simply arouse my curiosity as I am able to learn more about my largely blank past.
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote